Lumpy's Oddyssey

This is a log of the Communications between Mr. OR and a gentlemen known only as The Lumpy detailing The Lumpys epic battle with a tiny being attempting to brainwash him, his family, and take over his happy home.

Confused? Having trouble figuring out what this blog is all about? Need a hint? Get them here The Answer To All Riddles.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

On Christmas

Dear Mr. OR,

Well it is that time of year again. The winter snows have come in, people are running around shopping, and I am feeling charitable even towards the Beast. And so as we begin our celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ I have lessened my antagonism toward the Beast and allowed the Beast to participate in some of the family rituals. Never fear I shall return to my usual torture and abuse as soon as the holiday has passed. And so...

Just a few days ago my darling bride and I decided it was time for us to engage in one of our regular holiday traditions. It is one that many families engage in. Every year we decide that our living room looks far too sparse and barren and the only way to remedy the situation is to erect a large tree in the middle of it. I am not sure if it is my years of playing in tree forts as a young man that makes me desire to turn my living room into a miniature forest or if it goes back to our nomadic ancestors who simply could not leave the woods behind. Never the less, for as far back as I can remember, I have wandered out of my house around this time of year driven by the urge to procure for myself the wily and elusive pine tree.

After an hour of screaming and pushing and shoving we managed to get the Beast into a large padded suit designed to keep the little monster from getting frostbite, a situation the Red Cross would most certainly have a few things to say about, and headed out to our local tree farm. Perhaps near you trees grow out in the open in places you refer to as forests but around here we have cut down the forests to make room for large bovine resorts and spas and so must grow our trees on farms like chickens.

When we arrived I strapped the Beast to my back, as its current protective clothing kept it as immovable as a straight jacket would, and we headed off to find the perfect tree. After passing the Palm, Elm, Oak, and Cherry trees we came to the section labeled Pine. Once in the pine section we were greeted with a very sad site. All of the pine trees were Beast sized.

Well this would never do. A Beast sized tree could not create sufficient visual weight to feel like an entire forest in ones living room and so we were forced to go back to the elm section where they had trees of a more appropriate stature. After borrowing an axe, chopping down the tree and strapping it to my car we were on our way home singing all the way. And so I leave you to head for my garage and get a ladder with which to hang ornaments. I remain always;

Respectfully Yours,

The Lumpy

18 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh I am so happy to see you writing. It had been a while and I was starting to fear the Beast had eaten you.

You chopped down your own tree?

Do you put lights on your tree? In our house we also get a tree and put multi-colored lights on it.

December 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you chop the tree, while the beast was still on your back? that would be truly nomadic. i find that the tree looks nice with some box type things under it, wrapped in bright paper. yes, that helps liven it up.

toad, these days, the lights come in other colors too, such as the ever popular "purple". check it out.

December 22, 2005  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

It's good to read a new post of yours again.

The Beast must be carefully watched during this season. It will sense your good will, and one never knows what havok it may unleash. I hope you last until the New Year. Take care and enjoy the merriest of Christmases; it may be your last. But, don't dwell on that thought.

December 22, 2005  
Blogger quint said...

Lumpy -

I must warn you: this time of year is a special one to the Beasts of the world. Be on the lookout for packages that come in many-colored wrappings. They may contain devices which the Beast could use to torture you or rive you insane. The Beast may even try and brainwash you into procuring said torture device for the Beast yourself!

On a side note, an elm tree is an interesting choice, Lumpy. Interesting indeed.

Happy Christmas, to your entire family,

~ quint

(oh, and susie, I like your photo - I've got a fever, and the only cure is MORE COWBELL!)

December 23, 2005  
Blogger Fred said...

Have a Merry Christmas and a great holiday weekend, Lumpy. Let's hope the Beast doesn't eat the tree this year.

December 24, 2005  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

December 25, 2005  
Blogger Marti said...

Be sure to keep stray pine needles picked up, as they are easily turned into lethal weapons in the hands of innocent-looking Beasts.
(She said glancing down at Beast-inflicted pine needle scars)

Peace and joy to you!

December 27, 2005  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

so what songs were you singing on the way home??

Hope you , your bride, and your beautiful beast had a wonderful Christmas Lumpy;)

December 28, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great Christmas, Lumpy. But beware, because as the Beast gets older, it will require offerings of a nature that make increasing amounts of noise. Santa delivered a drum set to one of our Beasts this year. I don't know what Santa was thinking!

December 30, 2005  
Blogger Marti said...

Making a list to thank everyone who commented on my blog in 2005 - you did - thank you! List to post later today. Best wishes for 2006!
(Come by - I miss you!)

December 31, 2005  
Blogger Marti said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 31, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lumpy,

If you lived in our neck of the woods you wouldn't have to bundle the beast up in the winter time to go outside... hint hint ;)

~Cyradis

January 03, 2006  
Blogger L. Britt said...

Where are you, oh Lumpy? I've been looking for you for weeks. I miss you and your hilarious stories of the Beast...please come back!

January 12, 2006  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

lumpy
you ok?

January 24, 2006  
Blogger Marti said...

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Miss you - hope you return to blogging soon!

Marti at her new blog,
http://enterthelaughter.blogspot.com/

February 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just checking in like i sometimes do, havent' forgotten about you, you are hard to forget. I'm praying for you and your little family, for whatever is going on, that you can sort though it, and come out on the other side. just know, there are several of us who still check on you.

March 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

marti, i hope you don't mind, i couldn't resist this

visit Martie here at her new blog!

March 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My life's been generally bland these days. I just don't have much to say. I don't care. I haven't been up to anything these days. I can't be bothered with anything recently.
- lumpysoddyssey.blogspot.com a
07 car civic honda
buy used car
car undefined used
used car bergen
used car oakland
used car greensboro
used car raleigh
used car killeen
used car vallejo
used car tacoma

January 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home