Lumpy's Oddyssey

This is a log of the Communications between Mr. OR and a gentlemen known only as The Lumpy detailing The Lumpys epic battle with a tiny being attempting to brainwash him, his family, and take over his happy home.

Confused? Having trouble figuring out what this blog is all about? Need a hint? Get them here The Answer To All Riddles.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

On Victory Parades and the Loss of My TV

Dear Mr. OR,

Last night was indeed a most disturbing night. I am now more afraid than I have been in quite some time. You see, last night, all the Beasts in our neighborhood, big and small, got together to show off their strength. My wife, who is often brainwashed by the Beast, had some understanding of what was about to happen and helped me to prepare.

As it turns out every October 31 the Beasts of our neighborhood dress in their conquering uniforms and lead their hosts around the town in a show of strength. They go door to door bringing their mind slaves with them and demand tribute in the form of small sweets from anyone in the neighborhood who does not have a Beast leading them around. It is my understanding that if one fails to pay the tribute then the Beasts will descend en mass and move into the home of the helpless victim.

At first I was somewhat skeptical thinking there could only be a dozen or so Beasts within our community who had managed to outwit their hosts. Why after all we men are a very resilient breed but as the hour grew late I began to become more and more concerned. My wife sent me to the store to buy lots of sweets in order to assure that we would be able to appease all the little monsters. She then busied herself with dressing the Beast in its own victory outfit. I was at first very much against this idea. I mean our Beast has not won. I would not be paraded about the town like the slave of this little demon! Then my wife explained that I would indeed not be paraded around the town but the marauding Beasts may feel the need to move in and help our Beast should it look as though our Beast were not in control. This made great sense to me as the sudden gain of a dozen Beasts attempting to help our Beast out would complicate my life exponentially and so I left my wife to her work and busied myself with the acquiring of sweet morsels.

I arrived home shortly my arms full of bags of candy which I piled high into a large stainless steal bowl. That way should one of the little monsters try to force its way into the house I could use the bowl as a bludgeon and send them back to the road. However; as the hour grew late I began to become very disturbed. A quick look out our window displayed significantly more than a dozen parading Beasts. There were Beasts everywhere walking up and down the streets in packs of fourteen or more. I began to wonder if they segregated themselves into groups in order to disparage the cannibalistic tendency of other Beasts not unlike the herds of Zebra do to help increase their chances of surviving lion attacks.

The first few visits went without incident although as I lowered the bowl to each Beast in turn they removed a gaping handful of sweets and it quickly became apparent that should this trend continue I would not have enough sweets to make it through the evening. As I looked outside and realized the immensity of the number of Beasts patrolling our street who would be moving into my happy home should I run out of sweets I became very concerned and began instantly raiding my house for anything I thought might appease the Beasts and still they kept coming. I gave them all of our sweets, and then the cookies my mother had baked for my wife and I. We then pulled out the Brownies my wife had made that afternoon. Finally I was handing out one pound bags of sugar. Having run out of those the next Beast got my TV set.

And they still kept coming. And so I did the only thing that I could do given the great onslaught. I slammed the door, turned out all of the lights, and ran down into my basement where I hid in the corner and pretended not to be home. It was a long and sleepless night and although none of the Beasts decided to move in they did take great pleasure in ringing our doorbell once every few minutes until nearly sunrise. And so I write to you today as a slightly shaken and very tired Lumpy. I remain always;

Respectfully yours,

The Lumpy

13 Comments:

Blogger quint said...

Lumpy -

Your experience sounds harrowing indeed. I too suffered through a similar night, one in which rather than lose my TV (which I couldn't find, I began giving away the animals that also call my house their home. Alas, they now have new homes, with Beasts.

I am now considereing exiting the neighborhood I'm in so as to avoid this yearly victory parade. But a premature victory parade it is, because I hold out hope that you will find a way to defeat these Beasts. Why, even the handing out of sweets is a good start, because today I recieved correspondace from a person who witnessed a Beast that was very ill afer consuming too many sweet morsels. Perhaps this tidbit of information can help you in your continuing effort?

~ quint

November 01, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

You were very brave Lumpy...there is a code though that once the lights go out the beasts of the neighborhood are suppose to stop ringing the doorbell, however as I too have learned....that isn't always the case.

~Cyradis

November 01, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Terrible in deed. These Beasts are everywhere it seems. They came to our home also. To save myself I was forced to give the Beasts Mr. Toad. I am happy to say I survived and so did the house. The cats are also happy to have gotten rid of Mr. Toad who liked to chase them.

November 01, 2005  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

What a horrid night! You handled it well.
I hate to say this, but I think that Beast of yours will be around for a very long time. I can't forsee a quick resolution to your problem. You have my sympathies and best wishes. You poor man.

November 01, 2005  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Beasts are beastly when it comes to trick-or-treating. You're just lucky there were treats and no tricks. Next time you can get by without giving away your TV. Onions are a great substitute.

November 01, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do believe quint is on to something -- use the victory parade against the Beasts by giving them so many sweets as to render them ill.

November 01, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really favor the idea of an onion, or a potato. The word would quickly get around, that the Lumpy's were cheapskates, and so don't waste your time going there. Beasts tend to know where the good loot is, and if they pass the word along, you will not suffer that badly. Also, when they reach their hand in the bowl, you should probably administer a shock, so that next time, they won't be so hasty to help themselves, but instead will allow you to decide what you will give them.

And besides that, by next year, you won't even be home, as you will be joining your Beast up to another band of Beasts and their hosts to ransack the neighborhoods in search of your own bounty. Things could actually look up for you if you're prone to eating sweets. You could start receiving perks for allowing this Beast to reside with you. Better roll with it.

November 02, 2005  
Blogger Julia Reffner said...

Quint - You do indeed give me hope sir. Although I am sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved pets I must admit great joy to hear that one the Beasts are making themselves ill. Perhaps all that is required is the continual feeding of sweets to the Beasts and perhaps they will rid us of themeselves without our intervention.

Cyradis - Ahhh if only I had known the code before hand I would have been able to save a bundle by not buying sweets. Not to mention the cookies my mother made, my wifes brownies, and my TV.

Toad - ROFL. Indeed the handing over of Mr. Toad is a great tragedy as there is no saying whether or not he will manage to return from the Beasts cannibalistic clustches. We will be praying that Mr. Toad make it safely back to you and your darling cats.

Jamie Dawn - My greatest fear is that you may very well be correct. Yet there is always hope.

Saurkraut - Onions!! What a wonderful idea. Although one must wonder if the Onions are for making a stew out of Mr. Toad but lets not think on that outcome. Next year I shall indeed have a healthy dosage of onions on hand.

Monique - Indeed I believe you and quint are correct. An ill Beast makes a happy Lumpy and so I will indeed have lots of sweets on hand next parade as well as some onions to make sure I have all the bases covered.

Susie - A shock bowl is yet another wonderful idea. Being that the bowl was stainless steal this should be rather easy to accomplish. I could leave the bowl out on the porch for the Beasts to help themselves and then Zap! Just like one of those mosquito zappers.

The Lumpy

November 02, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lumpy,
It is horrible. Mr. Toad has indeed returned. At first it looked as if he suffered no ill will but then he said "I would like a Beast of my own!" He has been brainwashed.

November 02, 2005  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

Lumpy,
well it seems the beast has won this round. You indeed let her parade her cute self around the hood collecting her sweet nectar.

I am thinking maybe you should move to a remote location. while she is still young and may not rememeber all this. Get out while you can, for in 5 or 6 years from now she will be bringing her little beastly freinds over to parade around with her. They think if they are in packs it somehow makes them cute and more powerful.

trust me i know...I have been one of them..

God bless you lumpy,

:-)

November 02, 2005  
Blogger Fred said...

Count your blessings. None of the beasts served you up as a treat.

You've made it another year. Whew!

November 03, 2005  
Blogger Hoots Musings said...

I am rather surprised there were no beasts at my door in Conservative Midland, Texas.
Baffles me the beasts were out in droves in NYC.

What is up with that?

Beastless in Texas

November 03, 2005  
Blogger Julia Reffner said...

Toad - RUN!! RUN FAST!!! RUN HARD!!! I fear you are in great danger as this is one of the early signs of an invasion. Should you find yourself invaded be sure and tell me as I may be able to help you find a way to dispatch the little monster.

its_just_me - A remote location sounds nice although to be honest it is difficult to live in a more remot location than what the lumpys already do without giving up some of the modern conveniences that we enjoy. Things such as plumbing, or electricity. As I understand it they still don't have these things in the area surrounding the town that lumpy lives in.

The Village idiot - Why thank you. I'm happy I did not disappoint as that would have been sad indeed. From one fan to another. For any of you reading this the Village Idiot has a wonderfuly humorous blogs. It is one of a very few that I read on a daily basis.

Fred - Yes indeed. And some of the larger Beasts looked as though they may be capible of serving up the Lumpy as well. I remember one of them licking his lips as he came to the door. Still makes me shudder.

hoots musings - Welcome to the Oddyssey. I find it odd that the Beasts were not there as well. Where is this paradise of adult sanctuary? Perhaps the Lumpy could get an honorary membership. As for New York City I'm uncertain of the Beasts activities in that part of the country. I am a member of upstate New York and live near Rochester and buffalo and the Beasts were out IN DROVES. It was very impressive.

The Lumpy

November 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home