Lumpy's Oddyssey

This is a log of the Communications between Mr. OR and a gentlemen known only as The Lumpy detailing The Lumpys epic battle with a tiny being attempting to brainwash him, his family, and take over his happy home.

Confused? Having trouble figuring out what this blog is all about? Need a hint? Get them here The Answer To All Riddles.

Monday, September 26, 2005

On Poker and Being Handcuffed to a Couch

Dear Mr. OR,

I have begun to believe that there is a counter culture or resistance that is building against what appears to be the ever constant invasion of our homes by The Beast and its friends. Yes indeed I have lately heard of many a poker table surrounded with men just like me discussing and trading torture techniques in the hope that one of us has the answer that will send The Beasts home and return our darling brides and homes back to us. I think the psychiatrist I saw was indeed a member of this resistance.

Upon having my eyes opened to the fact that the Beast really does exist I realized as well that the Psychiatrist had made a grave error in his diagnosis of me. But now that I look back on it that seams absurd as well. I mean here is a man who has spent years diagnosing people with all sorts of mental illnesses, trained in the top schools of our time, and gainfully employed in The Lumpy's home city. Now, a man who gives bad psychological advice does not stay gainfully employed for very long. It was upon this realization that I made my discovery. Indeed when the facts don't make sense there is usually a hidden agenda involved. This Psychiatrist must be part of the resistance and was trying to help me rid myself of the Beast by giving me the means through which to do it. How? By ignoring the Beast. By making sure that the Beast does not receive attention.

I've heard that prisoners in solitary confinement sometimes go crazy. Certainly the Beast if faced with the prospect of going mad would leave through its own volition. But how to achieve this? The wife is constantly around the Beast. In fact, as I mentioned previously, I was at one time worried that the Beasts bottom had grown into my wife’s hip. I'm relieved to say that it has not. I would need to give my wife my wallet. This seams to be the only fool proof way to get my wife out of the house without the Beast following behind her. Although I shall have to be careful to make sure she leaves the Beast as the last time was a disaster.

Without pause I put my plan into action. Handing over, somewhat apprehensively, my wallet to my wife and offering to watch the Beast. This action merited me a kiss which put me in such a mood that it was several minutes after my wife had left before I remembered the real reason I had sent her away and began my work. First I would need a cell. No problem. Amongst our other torture devices my wife had me buy to prepare for the invasion were several different barred cells. I quickly assembled one. Placing the padded mat in the bottom so that should the Beast not be able to remove itself in time its madness would not result in its personal injury. After all if the red cross were to come over I would not want them to find an insane and battered Beast drooling in its cell. This would most definantly end up in the Lumpy being shipped to Holland to stand trial and frankly the Lumpy hates to travel.

My labor finished I joyfully placed the Beast in the cell, shut the door, and retired to a portion of the house as far away from the cell as I could go. There I grabbed a book. I am sorry to say; however, that the Lumpy residence is neither spacious nor is it sound proof from room to room. Almost immediately the Beast began its wailing. Scream after scream after scream. It felt as though the very house were shaking with the vibrations of the noise that the Beast were making. At several points I had to, with great courage; fortify myself from going into the other room just to make the noise stop. Just as I was handcuffing myself to the couch I noticed a change in the screams. They began to soften and there were long pauses in between. I was amazed. In all honesty I didn't expect this to work the very first time. Within the next twenty minutes the screams slowed down and finally stopped and everything was quiet.

I waited. Then I waited a little longer. Finally I decided to go and peak in the room. Carefully I opened the door and there lay the Beast. I looked a long while but couldn't make out any breathing. Rather than get the Beast to leave I had killed it. This was a mixed blessing. Indeed no Beast is a good thing but certainly my in-laws from the red cross would notice a dead Beast and as I have already mentioned I hate traveling. The only way to forego the inevitable conclusion was to bury the Beast in the back yard. So off I went to get my shovel from the garage.

I began digging in a nice shady area of the yard that I thought the Beast would like. It was in fact the very spot that the Beast had been grazing when I learned that it likes to eat grass. I had dug a fare portion of the grave when my wife returned from her shopping with my now empty wallet. She was of course very curious as to what I was doing so I informed her that the Beast had died and I was working on burying it. With a horrified panicked look my wife raced into the room containing the Beasts cell. By the time I got there my wife had managed to perform a miracle. She resurrected the Beast. How exactly this was done I am uncertain as I was setting down my shovel but I would imagine that like the resurrection of Lazarus it required prayer and the calling forth of the Beast by name.

So I am now left looking for a good game of poker. I have set up the table and am looking for other like minded men dealing with their own invasions to come and join me so that together we might be able to ascertain how to rid ourselves of our enemy combatants. I remain always;

Respectfully Yours,

The Lumpy

14 Comments:

Blogger Julia Reffner said...

Dear Lumpys Oddysey Readers,

I would like to use the comments to discuss a few things briefly. First as per squirrlymojo's comment on my previous post. I think this bares saying to all so I'll copy it here too.

I'm afraid to say this as watching my visitor count climb is one of the high points of my day but here goes. The nature of the writing on Lumpys Oddyssey requires a fair amount of thought and creative energy on the part of the Lumpy and therefore the Lumpys commitment to his readers is to post 2-3 times per week (taking weekends off). This is to give the Lumpy time to come up with interesting posts that provide for a quality blog and also to allow Lumpy to have time with his wife, daughter and other activities. Lumpys Oddyssey in all honesty will never be a site that is updated everyday because, well, to be honest, I can't come up with the material that fast. So I do appolagise to all of you who check on a daily basis that I dont always have new material here but I really would like to produce a quality blog rather than just throw something down to make sure the site is updated on a regular basis. I hope you guys don't mind.
Those of you who read regularly have no doubt already picked up on this.

Second. It has become apparent to me that the blog is somewhat confusing for first time visitors as I am increasingly refering to events that happened in past posts. For example why am I feeding the Beast Grass and how does the Red-Cross play into the story line. For this reason I have begun linking back to the relevent posts within the current post. I hope this helps to clear up confusion.

Third. I'm looking to start making some template changes as I have time inorder to improve the site and I'd love to hear any suggestions that you guys might have for how I can make things better.

Thank you,

The Lumpy

September 26, 2005  
Blogger quint said...

Lumpy -

Poker is a good reprieve from the Beast. I have indeed participated in one of these poker games you speak of - in fact, so many of the participants were speaking of Beasts that I thought I might catch a Beast if I continued to participate. I was incorrect in this assumption - apparently most men obtain these Beasts after obtaining a wife.

I have decided to avoid that ugly fate.

I am still participating in poker. And winning. I feel bad for taking money from Beast-ridden men who surrender their wallets to their wives, but they seem so tired from their battles that they lose more easily.

Poker is a good way to replenish the funds in your wallet - and much more fun than staring at walls all day. Be sure that most of the men at your table have Beasts too, or you'll need to keep sharp wits about you. Either way, keep the beer and nachos handy.

- quint

September 26, 2005  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I look forward to seeing what changes you make to your template. Of course, I hope you use an image or images of the Beast in your new design. It is, as you well know, the center of the content of this blog.

I am of the opinion that the Beast may have fallen asleep in that cell. But, it may be that your wife performed a miracle and is indeed a healer of Beasts. You could really market that ability.

September 26, 2005  
Blogger Fred said...

Thanks for the links. I'm trying like heck to make sense of some of your references, but it is tough.

But then, I'm not the brightest bulb.

By the way, when the poker game? I'll bring the chips.

September 26, 2005  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

well as far as I see it poker is a great tool to teach the beast colors and or numbers..also history..ywa no showing the differnce between kings and queens and such..


I get your point on not posting daily..it is hard to come up with stuff daily..only with three kids..matriel is easy to come by for me

take care lumpy:)

September 27, 2005  
Blogger Julia Reffner said...

Quint - Indeed I think I have seen you take more than your fare share from the table. All though I do recall leaving with a tidy sum of your money once or twice also. Your spot at the Lumpys table will always be open and waiting for you. I'm glad as well that your participation has not culminated in you becoming encombered with a beast of your own.

Jamie Dawn - I have been shying away from using images of the Beast on the site as I honestly felt like it would subtract either by the beast being cute hence the loss of the (albeit very contrived)illusion that the Beast is adversarial or (as the lumpy has some graphic manipulation skills) making the Beast truly Beast like and having people either pitty it or be offended that the lumpy would use such an image. Although for those people who don't feel that way and are curiose I could link to an image of the Beast or maybe just send them a link. The changes I'm hoping to make at this time are not truely of a graphical nature although if you know of someplace where I could gain an image of a hand writing with a quill pen I would be very delighted.

Asleep you say? But I couldn't see her breathing. hmmmm. I shall have to look into this when my wife is once again willing to have a civil conversation with me. She was a bit upset to find I planned to bury the Beast in the back yard.

Fred - I will have to clear another spot at the table. Love to have you aboard Fred as I understand from your posts on your blog that you have several Beasts of your own.

You're very welcome for the links. Unfortunatly it is more reading for people but such is the nature of the oddyssey. Its kind of a story written specifically for this mediam (not unlike the old newspaper novels of the victorian era) and so requires a little more reading than an ordinary blog but then hopefully it provides a little more entertainment than an ordinary blog. Let me know how I'm doing. And I don't believe your dim for a second.

Christina - TEACH THE BEAST!!? Now why would you ever want to do that?! No leave them ignorant. If we begin to teach them then they'll learn all our secrets and may learn how to control nuclear bombs that they can use on us or find out which poisons are particularly harmful then put it in our food. No no no. Teaching the Beasts is decidedly too dangerous. Indeed teaching them the difference between Kings and Queens could cause some issues. I once heard of this Beast who after realizing the difference actually kissed another Beast and hence was labled kissingSpawn. These sorts of activities in the invaders will never do.

The Lumpy

September 27, 2005  
Blogger Monique said...

I just love your creative story telling! Regarding your response to my last comment, I do recommend that you archive and not rely on blogger to to do so. I say this because of an experience on a message board earlier this year where a hacker got in and many posts that were supposedly backed up ended up deleted and could not be retrieved.

For my blog, at the end of every month I save the archive page from that month on my hard drive. Just in case.

September 27, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bumping your comments to #8...

Can't leave it at 7.. that just wouldn't be right now would it?!


~Cyradis

September 27, 2005  
Blogger quint said...

Lumpy -

I have discovered a way to know if the Beast is indeed sleeping or not! I had to pass this on to you as soon as I discovered it.

While the Beast is lying there, check to see if it's breathing. If, alas, it does not appear to be breathing, there is something else you must check. Look near the area that appears to be the mouth of the Beast - I know this is a frightening prospect, given your last forays into this area were met with a putrid substance. I have discovered that many Beasts emit a small amount of clear liquid from this orafice - something that may be saliva (I have not been brave enough to actually test this substance). If this exists, the Beat is, indeed, alive.

DO NOT DISTURB IT! Harassing a Beast at this juncture could prove fatal and deafening.

I would relate to you the means in which I made these discoveries, but the tale is far to harrowing and disturbing in nature to repeat here. Being Beast-less myself, I prefer to keep my means of studying them private for now.

I will say, Lumpy, that after this experience, just one tall Jack and Coke was not quite adequate to help me sleep that night. You have been forewarned.

Godspeed and good luck!

~ quint

September 27, 2005  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I think that altered pics of the Beast could be quite interesting and fun to look at.
Whatever changes you make will be changes indeed.
It is fun reading others' comments here, especially those who are somewhat bewildered by you and your writing style, and content.
Very enjoyable.
Please continue taking breaks between posts, as you said, because we your readers don't want the quality of your fine work to suffer due to self-imposed deadlines. Carry on...

September 27, 2005  
Blogger Brenda said...

Ah. A fix of Lumpy World after being gone awhile. I feel so much better now.

Never wake a sleeping beast. Ever. Not even to place it into its grave.

September 27, 2005  
Blogger Marti said...

completely understand the predicament of not posting every day. I can't do it either. I shoot for around three a week. I know some bloggers who have an every-other-day routine. I think quality wins over quantity, and your writing is very high quality. Your approach has a wonderfully quirky and amusing quality to it. A unique style is difficult to come by in the crowded blogosphere, and shouldn't be watered down to spread it thinner.

As far as re-design goes, you can Google "Blogger skins" and find many places that offer free templates.

DEFINITELY back up your template and previous posts. You can put a copy on your home PC, but also upload ALL of your files to a server somewhere else. I use "My Yahoo", Briefcase. It is a remarkable amount of free storage, and can hold the contents of a complete hard drive's files (you don't need to try to upload your programs, since you probably have them on a disk from when you bought them. But created files, like photographs, word documents, etc. are a "must-do". Off site storage protects you if your own computer ever crashes. Sure you can burn all the data to disks, but _I_ got burned doing that once, when the disk I burned was not compatible with the new machine's reader. Uploading to My Yahoo Briefcase is somewhat tedious, but it is very easy and it's free.

September 27, 2005  
Blogger Julia Reffner said...

Monique - Thank you very much for the information. I will have to set up a back up system immediatly.

Cyradis - as 7 is a lucky number and I have been most unlucky in that I have been invaded; No the comments can not be left at 7. Thanks.

Anna - I can assure you she will need counseling for a whole host of reasons. Congratulations on the recent marriage and on being so wise in delaying your invasion. We actually delayed our for nearly 5 years.

Quint - Indeed I do remember seeing this mystery fluid while the Beast was lieing there. I was blinded to its apparent significance because our Beast produces this oozing substance at an alarming rate all of the time.

Jamie Dawn - Reading the Posts here is one of the things I look forward to in my day. Often times something said will give me an idea I can use in a post later which helps me get through those dry creative periods. I'm still rather amazed to find that I actually have returning readers whome I have not met. Do you ever feel like that? As for the bewilderment I'm trying to cut down on that some. Unfortunatly stumbling on the Oddyssey right now is a lot like starting a book in the middle so I'm trying to think of ways to get the key posts available so the person doesnt have to read every single post to come up to speed.

Brenda Bradshaw - So good to see you again. I figured you had dissappeared to concentrate on your writing but I'm glad to see you are back. Luckily for me it was my wife that awoke the Beast. Indeed when she came away from the Beasts cell all of her hair was blown straight back as if by a mighty wind. I neglected to ask her how that happened.

Marti - You have created a monster. Well you and Jamie Dawn with her suggestion of graphics. After running the google search you suggested and checking out some of the skins I ran into a site that talked about what is required to make a template and the computer nerd in me roused itself and hunkered down for a long feeding. The Lumpys wheels have been turning and I'm working on learning css programming as quick as I can. Unfortunatly most of this week will be out as I have to study for a Bible lecture that I am giving for our Mens retreat. So its going to take me a little while. Thanks also for sharing the way that you do backups Marti. After hearing from you and Monique I'm going to put a back up system in right away.

The Lumpy

September 28, 2005  
Blogger Marti said...

If I might be so bold (seein' as how it is 4:25 AM, boldness is rather unique LOL) I would suggest copying a standard Blogger template and "fiddling" with it. They are written in their own unique way, different than standard CSS, so it is easier to modify one of theirs by changing the background, width of sidebars, top banner, etc, while leaving the actual "Blogger" code intact. Otherwise your archives, comments etc, can get r-e-a-l-l-y fouled up! (Voice of experience here LOL)


Keep it fairly simple too, graphics will make the page load slower, and my personal opinion is having "the beast" remain only as we imagine it, is far better than showing any pictures, normal or modified, but that's just me. If you do use graphics of any kind, make them low resolution (most monitors can't display anything above 70-80 pixels per inch), so a 300 pixel per inch picture will not show up any better and will take some poor slob like me, who is on dial-up, a week to load LOL

September 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home