Lumpy's Oddyssey

This is a log of the Communications between Mr. OR and a gentlemen known only as The Lumpy detailing The Lumpys epic battle with a tiny being attempting to brainwash him, his family, and take over his happy home.

Confused? Having trouble figuring out what this blog is all about? Need a hint? Get them here The Answer To All Riddles.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

On Figments of the Imagination

Dear Mr. OR,

Shortly after our camping trip my wife called me into our sitting room to talk with me. The Beast was not present as it was one of the rare moments when it sleeps. A serious if not delightful conversation in sued and, to make a long story short, my wife suggested I go to see a psychiatrist. At first I was some what annoyed. Here is my wife whose mind is regularly controlled by the Beast and she is telling me that I need to seek psychiatric help. Still in the several years that we have been married I've often found that the best way to handle these situations is to go along and let her see how foolish the suggestion was as it is being followed.

So this having been said I went off to make an appointment. The psychiatrists’ office wasn't hard to get into and luckily had an appointment for the very next day during work hours. Well a couple hours out of my box in order to have my brain scrubbed sounded like a very good deal to me so I set up the appointment. The next day I sat in a small arm chair facing a tiny man in a three piece suit with a goatee and Salvador Dali-esq mustache as he scribbled onto a pad of paper nearly everything that I said. I told him all about the Beast and what I have been able to find out so far. I mentioned some of the things I was trying to find out. I even mentioned some of the techniques I have been using. When I finished speaking the man leaned forward and looked at me with a poker face that had long since been frozen into a blend of motherly caring and calm understanding. "Mr. Lumpy" he said. "You sir. Have a very serious problem. This Beast. This Beast does not exist. He only exists in your mind."

Well I was flabbergasted. The Beast only exists in my mind? But it seamed so real. Never the less this man has degrees from some of the finest schools in the country. He understands the brain. He would know if this sort of thing were going on. The rest of my appointment was spent discussing how I could become well and have this figment of my imagination removed from my life by ignoring it. It turns out that Figments of the Imagination, like imaginary friends and the like, need constant interaction in order to survive. If you ignore them they eventually fade. So off I went home; firmly convinced that my wife had been correct after all and determined to ignore the Beast no matter what it did.

When I got home my wife asked me how my appointment had gone. I told her it went fine and gave her a kiss. Then she held the Beast out for me to give it a kiss. Why she began doing this I don't know but it has been her custom for some time now and I had been complying in order to keep the peace. This time; however, I pretended not to notice and wandered past her into the house looking for the coffee maker. I wanted a warm cup of coffee and a good book. This was my normal routine before the Beast and if the Beast was not there then I saw no reason I shouldn't jump back into my old routine.

Sitting with my cup of coffee my wife stopped by to ask me if I would hold the Beast so she could make dinner. At first I ignored her but she persisted several times. So I set my book aside and asked her point blank. "What Beast?" Well I thought for a second my wife was going to drop the Beast right on its plastic covered bottom. She waved it in front of my face a few times and said "Uhm. This Beast. Right here." So I looked back at her and said "Dear perhaps you should see a psychiatrist. There's nothing there."

Well much of the night progressed from there into me acting like the Beast wasn't there and my wife attempting to prove that it was. I'm most disappointed to relate that my wife did succeed in the end of convincing me that the Beast is real and we have since agreed that I am no longer in need of psychiatric help. I remain always;

Respectfully Yours,

The Lumpy

15 Comments:

Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

Fabulous.

September 22, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Haha Lumpy...Fabulous indead!

September 22, 2005  
Blogger quint said...

Lumpy -

I ran into a woman yesterday that knows of your plight. Lives two houses from you. She spoke of balloons that were hung near your house to celebrate the arrival of the Beast. The thing must exist, otherwise why would others be able to see it and celebrate its arrival? Why would others celebrate the arrival of such a monstrous entity? This does not sit well with me. I digress...

Sadly, the Beast does exist. And I'm beginning to think it has outwitted you. This is highly disconcerting for me. Please, for the sake and sanity of mankind, don't give up on your attempts to rid yourself of this thing! Do not succumb to its powers!

- quint

September 22, 2005  
Blogger jettybetty said...

Lumpy,
I can assure you the Beast will grow up and move away and *most likely* you will miss the Beast.

I applaud your way of handling your wife and the *appointment*--so much more creative than just saying you won't go.

"The Patriarchs" is a study written by Beth Moore--I have done a number of her studies--and they are excellent--probably you will need to watch the Beast and let your wife go--generally they are for women--even though the principles would work for men, too.

And Fred (RIP) was causing Bob to stall on almost every hill in TN where Bob and our daughter live. Fred slowed Bob down, but in the end was no match for the mighty Bob.

We have a tv, rarely watch the thing--actually if you want it you can have it. I must have my cell phone though--crummy, crummy customer service and all. I suppose I have used it 10 times today already. Now, my land line--I would let you have that!!!

JB

September 22, 2005  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

In a household, wives and beasts rule. It's a dictatorship and you, my friend, are being dictatored.

Love this post!!

September 22, 2005  
Blogger Cori said...

Okay so I am new here and I NEED to find out who this beast is. A child? An animal? Is it real or really a fragment of your imagination. But I figure if your wife knows its real then it must be!.

September 22, 2005  
Blogger Julia Reffner said...

Squirlymojo - Why thank you.

cyradis - Thank you as well.

Quint - Indeed I think it is high time I set up another interigation sesion. The Beast is indeed real. It is time for me to once again bring the war to it.

JettyBetty - I fear that you are right but I can not resign myself to this fate as of yet and must continue the fight lest all that I hold dear eventually becomes taken over by the Beast.

Jamie Dawn - How right you seam to be. Dictatored is precisely the word. I do indeed appear to be dictatored.

Cori - Ahhh welcome to The Oddyssey. I'm always happy to see a new face. The Beast is, in actuality, my 5 month old daughter. The Oddyssey is my, often fictional, totally tongue in cheek, look at being a first time father. Some of the experience draw largely from real life while others are completely made up. Welcome. I hope you enjoy the ride.

The Lumpy

September 22, 2005  
Blogger Fred said...

Whew! You're not crazy after all. Or, so she has you convinced...

September 22, 2005  
Blogger Samantha said...

Most excellent post Lumpy, one of my favorites :-)

September 23, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

HAHA Fred don't let Lumpy have you fooled... He is by far a crazier friend then I... of course madness is only the definition of the jealousy of men who do not wish to understand the minds of true intelligence.

~Cyradis

September 23, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Lumpy is definitely crazy. I bet he would even tell you that he was once hit by a Mack truck and survived to be dropped by the emergency crew.

September 23, 2005  
Blogger Marti said...

You forgot to fluff Harvey's ears while visiting the psychiatrist - that might have gotten you out of a diaper change or two - LOL!

Love your tales Master Lumpy, keep up the good work.

September 24, 2005  
Blogger Monique said...

I love your stories. I hope you are archiving this stuff for your daughter to read some day!

September 24, 2005  
Blogger SquirrleyMojo said...

yikes. has the beast discovered your blog? somehow prevented you from posting?

September 25, 2005  
Blogger Julia Reffner said...

Fred - Yes indeed it would seem that The Lumpy is not insane after all. At least not in the Psychiatricaly diagnosible way. Is that a word?

Samantha - Thanks Sam I am. I'm rather fond of this one too to be honest.

Cyradis - I prefer the term Wiley or perhaps clever *wink*. Although; I certainly can not lay claim to any men who are jelouse of the Lumpy intellect. It is in fact a very meager thing with only a few bright moments.

Toad - *Hangs head* Yes indeed it is true that Lumpy was hit by a Mack truck and was dropped by the emergency crew. It is also true that the Lumpy was dropped on his head as a child, one time fell out of a tree, and repeatedly had his bottom slapped by various adults from time to time.

Marti - Ahhh yes. Master Harvey. I should indeed give his ears a fluffing. They are getting a bit drab as he is, by now, a very old rabbit. Thanks for the encouragement.

Monique - I'm glad you are enjoying them. Although I myself have not been archiving these(as I have been relying on the site to do that. Please let me know if that is a bad idea.) I understand that my mother is printing each one out and hiding them in a secret place to be unleashed upon my daughter when it is least convenient for me.

Wilena - I was happy to stop by and I enjoyed the post quite a bit. In fact (if my intuition serves me well) I think I am becoming a regular reader of your whole family. Well the ones that post regularly anyways. As for the Beast. I have several male nephews who I have had the oppertunity to examine at length and(although you will never see me admit it in an article) *looks over his shoulder and whispers* I'm quite fond of my little girl.

squirrlymojo - Ah no. The Beast has not yet discovered my blog. I'm afraid to say this as watching my visitor count climb is one of the high points of my day but here goes. The nature of the writing on Lumpys Oddyssey requires a fair amount of thought and creative energy on the part of the Lumpy and therefore the Lumpys commitment to his readers is to post 2-3 times per week (taking weekends off). This is to give the Lumpy time to come up with interesting posts that provide for a quality blog and also to allow Lumpy to have time with his wife, daughter and other activities. Lumpys Oddyssey in all honesty will never be a site that is updated everyday because, well, to be honest, I can't come up with the material that fast. So I do appolagise to all of you who check on a daily basis that I dont always have new material here but I really would like to produce a quality blog rather than just throw something down to make sure the site is updated on a regular basis. I hope you guys don't mind.

The Lumpy

September 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home