Lumpy's Oddyssey

This is a log of the Communications between Mr. OR and a gentlemen known only as The Lumpy detailing The Lumpys epic battle with a tiny being attempting to brainwash him, his family, and take over his happy home.

Confused? Having trouble figuring out what this blog is all about? Need a hint? Get them here The Answer To All Riddles.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

On Cattle and Flypaper

Dear Mr. OR,

It has been quite the day for discovery over here at The Lumpys residence. I have finally learned what it is that The Beast eats and to be honest I feel rather foolish for not simply guessing from the beginning. The Beast eats grass just like cattle. Although I suppose the beast is a little more like a goat in regards to its eating habits as it will try and chew nearly anything. All the same this revelation came to me as I was observing The Beast in my back yard. My wife and I were enjoying the nice summer sun which is always an excuse to also enjoy some ice tea. My wife as always carried The Beast out with us and sat it down on the blanket as well. I have learned not to argue about such things as it invariably ends with me doing what ever I had been planning on doing either with an angry wife and Beast or else alone. As I studied The Beast I noticed that it was expending great amounts of energy trying to move forward. It would strain and reach and grunt and kick its legs up into the air. I find it amazing that The Beast even has legs since as far as I can tell it has no use for them. It is largely parasitic in nature and requires being lugged around by a host. Still to my amazement I noticed that all this effort was beginning to work. The beast began rotating in a clockwise fashion and slowly inching towards the edge of the blanket. After about thirty minutes of this the Beast had reached its goal and immediately began tearing large amounts of grass out of the ground and stuffing it into its mouth. Each successive handful bringing more grass and dirt up to its gapping maw.

This information couldn't have come at a better time as we are having my in-laws over for dinner whom I trust you will recall work for the Red Cross and threatened to send me to Switzerland to be tried on war crimes if I did not feed The Beast. So I have busied myself for part of the morning gathering all manner of grasses and weeds that I might feed them to The Beast tonight while my in-laws are over.

I have also found a way to keep The Beast in a safe area of the house out of harms way. The answer came to me as I was attempting to come up with ways to restrain The Beast. I recall you mentioning that duct tape could be used to silence the creature and thought that it would also make a decent restraint except that duct tape leaves behind a sticky residue that can be very difficult to clean off. Then it struck me. Velcro. And with that I was off to the store again. I came back with large quantities of Velcro and busied myself putting the Velcro onto the wall and onto a set of The Beasts clothing. Then I waited hiding the clothing very carefully where my wife was very unlikely to find it. Several hours later my wife asked me to watch the Beast as she went to the store to pick up dinner for this evenings meal with the in-laws. I cheerfully agreed which made her look at me sideways and taking The Beast I retired to the room I had previously prepared. I carefully put The Beast into its little suit and placed The Beast on the Velcro. The Beast stuck. Indeed it was hanging there like a large fly caught on some fly paper. At this point I started wondering. It would be nice for convenience sake if I didn't have to always walk over to the Velcro to put the beast on it. So I pulled The Beast free and tried gently tossing it over to the spot and was amazed to see the Velcro stuck with out a problem. So I took a step back. I was in fact practicing my hook shots and three pointers when my wife got home from the store. I have been banned from ever buying Velcro or anything sticky for the rest of eternity. I remain always;

Respectfully Yours,

The Lumpy

8 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

What in the world is "The Beast"?

I like your writing style. Great blog. I'll have to visit it again soon.

September 02, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

courtney, The beast is that one creature that lives in a home for at least 18 years and then ventures out into the world. Someday maybe even having their own beast.

September 03, 2005  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Courtney is my beast. I'm her mommy and have been for 17 years.
Your post was funny. Tossing the Beast around made for a pretty wild mental picture.
I'm sure your little Beast is a perfect joy!
I have two beasts. Maybe you'll be adding another one to your life one of these years.

September 04, 2005  
Blogger Julia Reffner said...

It is typically my custom to return comments in this space in character, so to speak, but I'll break precidence this time. I'm so glad that all of you stopped by. I'm also intrigued to find out that Jamie Dawn and Courtney are related. I have been to both sites on a fairly regular basis and found them to be delightful. In deed the beast is my 4 month old daughter who is, on my side of the computer screen, the joy of my life. I posted this on courtneys blog as is my typical Modus Operandi.

Toad you are a bit of a mystery to me after reading your blog. I'm very curiouse specially if mine was the blog you were working on leaving a comment at.

I'm so very pleased that you all have stopped by to visit me. I hope you had as much fun reading as I had writing. I will try and get the next installment up within the next day or two.

The Lumpy

September 04, 2005  
Blogger Julia Reffner said...

OH yes.

Jamie Dawn - we do in fact intend to have another beast with in the next few years.

Should any of you feel like contributing, by the way, I often use suggestions given within the comments section in my writing. That is when I can work my own creativity around to include it.

The Lumpy

September 04, 2005  
Blogger honkeie said...

I have some of the funniest visuals of the beast being stuck and eating grass, too funny.

September 06, 2005  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

When you do decide to add another Beast to your Lumpy household, let the blogworld have a stab at naming the little thing. It would be fun to give you and your spouse some interesting choices.
I'm enjoyiing your blog.
Very unique... in a good sort of way.

September 06, 2005  
Blogger Samantha said...

Velcro. Nice touch.

September 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home